Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).
It feels good to conserve. Make A Green Choice.
To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell us at check-in or look for the door hanger in your guestroom.
One night can mean significant savings.
- 49.2 Gallons*
- 49.2 gallons is 787 cups, enough for 1 person to drink 2 cups per day for a year.
- 0.19 KWH*
- That's enough to run an Energy Star-rated laptop for 10 hours.
Save Natural Gas
- 25,000 btu*
- Enough energy to heat a 400 square foot room at 70°F for 4 hours - when it's 10°F outside.
- 7 oz*
- Fewer chemicals equals less toxicity in the environment. And that's good for everyone.
*All amounts estimated based on average guestroom size and materials usage.
At The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, wellness is a way of life - and that mantra extends to our commitment to the environment. We understand the impact that we have on the area around us and are dedicated to being responsible, active participants in the pursuit towards a greener lifestyle. Our Green Council, comprised of dedicated Westin Mission Hills employees, works with each individual department to ensure we are acting in unison to increase our sustainability and decrease our waste. Throughout this process, we will continuously improve our energy, resource, water use and waste disposal programs. The following is a list of some of the current initiatives we have in place.
- All of the light bulbs in the guest rooms and corridors have been changed over to energy efficient fluorescent bulbs
- LED lighting has been utilized in all exit signs
- Utilization of natural lighting in lobby, guest rooms, and restaurants
- No Styrofoam is ordered for use on the property
- Office paper meets U.S. EPA's 2007 Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines
- Option for reduced newspaper delivery to conserve paper
- Green council established to manage and monitor green initiatives
- Make a Green Choice program
- Green transportation best practices implemented
- Online job applications reduces paper usage
- Comprehensive recycling program implemented
- Recycle un-used soap to 3rd party vendor
- Recycle kitchen fryer oil supplies to 3rd party to be converted to biodiesel fuel, or recycled in support of some other sustainable process
- Close shades and blinds during day to protect from heat
- Adherence to recycling and waste collection policies, as well as towel and linen reuse
- Reduced water usage
- In their daily duties, Housekeeping staff returns double-headed Heavenly Shower unit to lower-flow position of one operating heading
- Eliminated threatened seafood species from menu
- Offer sustainable menus in restaurants and outlets
- Purchase of local organic vegetables when available
- Use of herbs grown in an on-site herb garden
Hotel Grounds and Landscaping
- Deleted overlapping and overspray conditions
- Use of bubbler-type nozzles
- Optimized watering durations based on soil moisture testing
- 3rd party composting company hauls landscaping waste